Delivering 1000+ school places for Milton Keynes Council
One of several schools to meet Milton Keynes' need for places
- Follows similar programmes in other major towns and cities
- Willmott Dixon crowned education contractor of the year
Whitehouse Primary School is one of a batch we are building for Milton Keynes that will open by September 2016.
Procured via Scape Group's Major Works programme, we are also on site with Newton Leys and Fairfield, which are the first phase of a £160m schools programme to create seven new schools, as well as expand an additional 12 existing schools by 2018 to deliver 10,000 much-needed places.
Peter Owen, managing director at Willmott Dixon, said:
“Demand for schools places throughout the country is starting to outstrip supply, so Milton Keynes is by no means unique in implementing a significant schools expansion programme. These first three schools will deliver nearly 2,000 additional primary places between them, helping to ensure that ultimately every child in the Milton Keynes area is provided with a good local school place."
In recent years, Willmott Dixon has transformed school accommodation in Liverpool, Middleborough, Isle of Wight, Bedfordshire, Southampton and Warwickshire with multiple projects that replaced life-expired property or created new schools to provide extra capacity for places.
See a film on how we're working in the community in Milton Keynes
Education builder of the year
We won education’s most prestigious accolade by being Education Investor’s Constructor of the Year - for the second year running. This coveted award is a benchmark for quality in the industry with fierce competition, so winning it twice reflects our work building the nation’s schools.
Key facts that impressed the judges include:
- Since 2007 we have completed 298 new build or extensions school projects with a total value in excess of £1.5bn and are on site with another 47
- We are working with over half the local authorities across the country, in addition to dioceses, academy, UTC, UTS and free school operators
- Delivering, or delivered, 32 UTC and Free Schools and the key employer sponsor for the first Construction UTC, West Midlands Construction UTC
- Delivering the first University Training Schools, with University of Birmingham and Cambridge University. The Birmingham UTS is the first in the country to deliver teacher training.
We completed and opened the first Sunesis school in November 2012, working with our partners at Scape. This was just the first of many Sunesis projects and we have continued to develop and deliver Sunesis schools over the last five years. We have always believed that the Sunesis approach offers a major step away from the expense of producing bespoke designs towards standardised designs that deliver outstanding educational facilities very significantly cheaper and more quickly than traditional procurement methods.