South Wales Police - Police Learning Centre
Delivering a purpose-built facility to house all the teaching requirements within one building on one site
South Wales Police has one of the largest estates within the blue-light sector.
Following a strategic review of its estate, and with an influx of recruits and new officers in mind, South Wales Police have combined their office and training facility to create the Police Learning Centre, replacing existing facilities spread across the force area.
This purpose-built facility houses all the teaching requirements within one building, on one site. The four storey building is a permanent base for learning and development services and human resources. It also accommodates an office facility for the police and crime commissioner.
Inside the training facility are two large training suites for beep tests; tazer training and self-defence classes, plus changing rooms and four classrooms.
In total within the footprint of the building are:
- new catering and dining areas
- multi-use meeting rooms
- a 114 space lecture theatre
- an open atrium for flexible learning and relaxation
- open plan offices for the police crime commissioner
- open plan offices for human resources and development teams
- specialist immersive training suites
- training break out spaces
- 25 classrooms and gender neutral locker, shower rooms
How it was built
Construction consisted of concrete deep strip foundations; concrete floor slab; concrete frame; steel frame to lecture area, roof top plant rooms; atrium bridges and atrium roof and curtain walling.
Alongside this, we did enabling works for a large 314 space car park including new access roads; the demolition of existing buildings; service identification/diversions; new retaining walls and section 111 highway works and the refurbishment and construction of a new stores building all valued at circa £10m.
- Providing a permanent base for learning and development services and human resources
- Delivering a new physical training facility
- Two large training suites for beep tests; tazer training and self-defence classes
- Procured via the Scape Major Works Wales framework
Global Reach, Wing A, 3rd Floor, Celtic Gateway, Dunleavy Drive, Cardiff
Tel: 029 2022 1002
Fax: 029 2038 8206