Gloucestershire or Bristol , South West
Environmental and Sustainability Manager
Full Time , Permanent
Reference number: CON01543
Environmental and Sustainability Manager
Willmott Dixon is passionate about leaving the right sort of social, environmental and economic legacy, for us to continue our success we are expanding our team and recruiting an Environmental and Sustainability Manager to make an impact in South Wales and the South West.
Sustainability and social value have been at the heart of our business for the last 170 years and with our new sustainability strategy, ‘Now or Never’, focussing us on delivering Brilliant Buildings, to Build Lives and enable a Better Plant by 2030, there really is no better time to join Willmott Dixon!
The main purpose of the role is to combine managing environmental risk and driving sustainable opportunities at each stage of our project processes. Before a construction project starts you will review all environmental and sustainability aspects of the project, providing the project team guidance on how to identify and mitigate environmental impacts on the environment. You will also have a lead role in delivering BREEAM at design and construction stages.
You will be working in a time-challenged environment that values flexible and innovative thinking. Strong communication and relationship management skills are essential, coupled with an ability to influence through others as well as supporting and coaching the teams within the department.
Reporting to the Head of Sustainability, you will responsible for:
• Technically review and ensure our approach to delivering certifiable sustainable assessment methodologies (e.g. BREEAM)
• Analysis of root cause, business weakness’ and strengths to ensure focused support
• Identify future legislation and government requirements and assess effect on business
• Analyse KPI’s across region – identify trends and anomalies and focus support and business focus where required
• Provide sustainability and environmental expertise and support across all functions of the business, including our design, commercial and operations departments as required
• Champion sustainability to ensure a consistent approach with the company’s sustainability strategy including themes such as embodied carbon, lifecycle cost assessment, circular economy and biodiversity
• Ensure that the Environmental Management System is implemented, controlled and maintained
• Help develop and ensure compliance with environmental best practice documents and statutory legislation
• Ensure full understanding of current and future environmental legislation by staff
• Adding value to projects through collaboration with internal and external regional networks
• Facilitate sustainability workshops at project commencement
• Ensuring continuous improvement and relevance of the role through independent research
• Raising awareness/ upskilling by organising CPD sessions
• A background in sustainable management practices & innovation
• Subject expert in BREEAM
• Managing environmental procedures
• Dealing effectively with environmental issues
• Reading and interpreting sustainability documents and periodicals
• Educating others on issues surrounding sustainability and environment
• Using Microsoft suite of Office programmes; inc. Excel, Word, Outlook and Project
• Able to travel independently to work
• Professional membership of an environmental institute
• Construction industry experience
• Data analysis
In return we offer
A hybrid role, and you will work from home, our office in Bristol and our live construction projects.
We reward our people generously with a competitive package that gives you flexible benefits to fit your lifestyle and priorities. This includes but is not limited to, an enhanced pension scheme, discounted or full private medical, life assurance, incentive bonus and a car scheme which will make us a market leader in sustainable company travel. Applicable roles will benefit from a motoring expenditure allowance (MEA) and everyone can access a new generation of low carbon and electric cars via the Willmott Dixon run car leasing scheme.
At Willmott Dixon we provide an inclusive and flexible working environment for people to thrive in and we are happy to support agile working wherever possible. We are a proud member of the Disability Confident Scheme.
With 170 years of rich history, Willmott Dixon’s purpose is beyond profit; delivering brilliant buildings, transforming lives, strengthening communities and enhancing the environment so our world is fit for future generations. Ensuring that we add lasting value to the neighbourhoods we work in; our values, people, innovation, partnerships and focus on sustainability has allowed us to build a successful and solid privately owned business where our people can thrive. Construction is changing and we are at the forefront of that change. Pioneering new ways to build, innovating the way construction is viewed and establishing ourselves as one of the top employers in any industry. It truly is an amazing company in one of the most exciting industries with a vast array of professional career paths. Adding to that our numerous people awards, we understand everyone has a unique potential and ability to make a difference and succeed; if you want your skills developed and talent recognised, why not join our business! Willmott Dixon was awarded 5th place in the Sunday Times Best Companies Top 100 (2020) to work for, the Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2022 and is the first major contractor and developer to win a Queen’s Award for Enterprise in the category of sustainable development.